Heart-Centred Journeys in Israel
designed & facilitated by Yizhar Hass
An expertly guided journey in Israel, with the intention of going ‘beneath the surface’ of everyday life, can be a powerfully uplifting experience of travel and personal growth. Still today, Israel holds the spiritual energy of holiness and secret mystical teachings that can lead to transformational experience and wisdom. If you want to enhance your life, come to the Land of the Prophets. If you’re looking for magic, Israel is a land of miracles, large and small. Traveling well, in a richly stimulating and authentic environment, becomes a journey of the soul.
A heart-centered journey in the spirit of Israel is a life journey…!
Derech HaLev – ‘Pathway to the Heart’ – is a holistic concept, developed by Yizhar Hass, encompassing an innovative approach to encountering life – and oneself – through journeys in Israel that take one beyond the usual travel experiences. We custom design special tours, workshops and events, which aim to facilitate meaningful experiences of personal growth, for individuals, families and groups. Derech HaLev has also crafted an approach to organizational development that many have found to be effective in increasing productivity and teambuilding in a qualitative way. We receive letters and calls from people who, sometimes years after they’ve participated, tell us about a real change in their life, their work – and their perception of themselves.
Derech HaLev journeys and workshops benefit participants by creating a deep emotional experience. The participants’ exposure to Israel elevates the Derech HaLev experience to a higher dimension. Derech Halev also offers the possibility of interacting with unique people who are living a way of life that goes beyond the ordinary.
… journeys in Israel that take one beyond the usual travel experiences
What We Do
We specialize in ‘heart-centred journeys’ and in-depth spiritual tours, workshops and events, that emphasize a strong contact with the place and the people experiencing the place. Derech Halev activities relate directly to the connection between the individual person (ha’Adam) and the place (ha’Makom) – and between a person and his, or her companions.
For example, by designing spiritual tours around principles of transformation; creating positive experiences; visiting unique communities who are living an inspiring way of life; finding uplifting stories and legends; designing activities geared towards creating a new vision for an organization; team building around identity and meaningful values.
“Bein ha’Adam ve ha’Makom, ve bein ha’Adam ve’Chavero”
- ‘Secular or sacred?’ – deep in the belly of Jerusalem
- Special journeys for parent and child – eg. visiting places of family importance
- What happens to you when you visit sacred, holy places?
- Essence of the chaggim – genuine Freedom in Passover…the Inner Light of Hanukkah…
- Art and creativity, poetry and music in contemporary Israeli life
- Personal Biblical tours – imagine yourself in a biblical situation.
- The desert, ‘Bamidbar’ – taking the road less travelled.
- Hiking journeys for individuals, or groups. Experience exciting and unexpected encounters.
- Coming of age in Israel – special barmitzvah/batmitzvah tours
… and weddings deep in the belly of Jerusalem…
Participants visit well-known sites and stay at hotels, but also have the opportunity to stay in off-the-track houses and farms in the Negev and Galilee. We’ll also visit people in their homes, people who have created a special life for themselves in Israel and have fulfilled their dreams – people who are actively involved in interesting projects. These will help you experience the essence of the land of Israel – and the positive essence within yourself.
Some trails and trips:
- ‘Heart-centred journeys’ in the ‘Heart of the World’ (Lev ha’Olam) – the ancient Judaic writings say that Israel is the heart of the world… and Jerusalem is the heart of Israel…
- Old trees, sacred tracks and trails in the Galilee, Dead Sea, the Negev and the Arava
- Living waters – springs with a tradition of ritual immersion and purification
- Pilgrimages to the ancient burial places of the ‘tzaddikim’
- Alchemy of Tel Aviv nights – contemporary Israeli culture on and off the street
- In the footsteps of the leaders and teachers of Israel
- Desert retreats – Quiet experiences in the Negev, Arava and Machtesh Ramon
- From the Meshek to Jerusalem – a special journey over three days
When places and stories inspire us… we’re on a journey within…
- Meaningful birthdays – circles of true blessing in a beautiful setting
- Story telling – for families, communities and organizations
- Art festivals, artist workshops and master classes
- Corporate games working with values – in Jaffa, TelAviv, Jerusalem
- Parties in private homes, or special venues, or out in nature
- Barmitzvah-& Batmitzvah celebrations
- Inside Jerusalem’s Mahane Yehuda – the real‘shuk’ experience
- Circle of healers and mystics – events to open the heart and stimulate vibrant life energy
events to open the heart and stimulate vibrant life energy
- Guidance and support for managers – growing and empowerment for workers
- Tours combined with sometimes challenging activities – in nature, or cities
- Wild life management meetings and workshops
- ‘Quantum Jumping’ – a leap forward for organizations
- Traveling Leadership workshop in Jerusalem
- ODT – Out Door Training and Vision Trails
… combined with sometimes challenging activities
- Seminars for youth leaders from around the world
- Workshops on conflicts in Israeli life
- Conflict Resolution – workshops for youth groups
- Finding a vision and personal strengths – for youth visiting Israel
- Nature Day for special needs children
- Speaking from the heart – workshop for teachers and therapists
- A Dialog of Equals – special parents and children workshops and tours
- Spiritual and alternative workshop in the desert and mountains near Eilat during the annual school/taglit tour
We all need to be heard and appreciated…
We all need to learn to listen…
A spontaneous, live experience is what makes the difference that excites and creates a beat… that renews life… For example:
- ‘Creator, warrior, connector’… different personalities within an organization – who are you?
- ‘The Gift’ – a process using special Derech Halev cards
- ‘Old Trees Trail’ – in and around the ‘meshek’ at Kibbutz Barkai
- ‘We Did It Together’ – two days of workshops and leadership skills + two days of activities around Israel, or abroad
… highlighting the special gifts and potential within every person
The Meshek was built by listening. This is Yizhar’s special ‘wild place’ on Kibbutz Barkai in the centre of Israel. It started as a colorful hammock tied under the mulberry trees. And then, feeling that its a good place, with the energy of growth, grace and relaxation – it gradually, organically grew into a ‘retreat’ space for group activities.
Birthdays. Workshops. Events. Games. Meditation. A large area in beautiful nature, with a central cabin with wood stoves, sofas, rugs and cushions. There are ponds and organic fruit trees. Figs, prickly pears, lemons, grapes, mulberries and olives. There’s a teapot from Turkey, coffee pots from Jordan and North Africa. Fabrics from India. Sofas and chairs from old grannies on the Kibbutz. A lot of love and colors…
The Meshek was built by listening…
Derech HaLev trips and workshops benefit the participants by creating a deep emotional experience.
“Happy New Year,Yizhar, dear friend. You have the spark… a spark that allows one to love you and embrace you in whatever your hand”Yochai Rotenberg
Q: Is a Derech HaLev journey only suitable for ‘spiritual’ people?
Q: Is DH suitable for children and families?
Q: In the organisation where I work, people do not like to be emotionally exposed. Will I be embarrassed if I participate in a DH event? Can you offer me something less ‘risky’?
A: Sometimes even very simple activities – like cooking together, or sitting together in the right setting – can take us past our secrets and fears.
Q: Do you organize transport, food, hotels etc?
WHO IS YIZHAR HASS?
Derech HaLev (‘Pathway to the Heart’) was founded in 1999 by Yizhar Hass. He is a senior travel guide, a graduate of the Hebrew University in Philosophy and Hebrew Literature, with specialist seminars on the Techniques of Eastern Culture. He is also a student and instructor in the field of Jewish Spirituality. Yizhar served as commander of the IDF Information and Education Unit in the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem, where he conceived the idea of combining his extensive travel experiences with his passion for the diversity of cultures and spiritual approaches to life in Israel. Creating the opportunity for people to ’live life better’ is one of Yizhar’s primary goals for Derech HaLev.
YIZHAR WOULD LIKE TO THANK
- Khan Be’erotayim for their amazing place – some of the pictures were taken there. www.beerotayim.co.il
- Ilil from Aftermoon for the logo concept design. www.aftermoon.co.il
- Jonathan Turest-Swartz, for producing the website from concept to writing and photography; and for your support and friendship. Thank you!